Life in the Fog

“My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive;
and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.”
-Maya Angelou

September 28, 2013

Traveling in Turkey

I just arrived from my honeymoon in Turkey - a 10 day whirlwind in which we visited Istanbul, Ankara, Cappadocia, Pamukkale, Kudasi, Troy, Gallipoli, and cities in between.  I was a little apprehensive about coming here when all the political turmoil in Syria was making headline news, but I'm so glad I carried on and flew to this AMAZING country. Turkey has many UNESCO World Heritage Sites and it was humbling to have an opportunity to visit a few of them as well as their many other ancient sites.

Having visited Italy in 2009, I thought I knew what the definition of ancient was.  But in Turkey, ancient is more like 5000 BC.  What surprised me the most was how much ingenuity people had in 3000 - 5000 BC. I saw armory and intricate, embroidered costumes - it was just mind-blowing.

Below are pictures from our tour of Istanbul.

The Blue Mosque- just unbelievably spectacular




The Blue Mosque







Topaki palace




Topaki palace






Topaki palace




Views of Istanbul from terraces of the Topaki Palace






Hagia Sophia Cathedral - unfortunately the pictures don't do justice











The madness of the Grand Bazaar - we were told that the Spice Market is a lot better, though smaller in size.  Sadly we didn't have the time to visit.










Views of Istanbul from the Conrad Hilton hotel.  

No comments:

Post a Comment